Automatic transmissions are popular in today’s Volvos, and for good reason. They offer a number of advantages over traditional manual transmissions, making them easier and more convenient to drive.
For example, automatic transmissions don’t require the driver to shift gears, making it simpler to navigate stop-and-go traffic. In addition, automatic transmissions are more fuel efficient than their manual counterparts, helping to save money at the pump when filling up your car.
Volvo offers a variety of vehicles with automatic transmission options, making it easy to find the perfect car for your needs. When you have problems with your automatic transmission, it can be frustrating, but we have solutions for you. Let’s look a little closer.
What components can fail in an automatic transmission?
Volvo’s automatic transmissions are some of the most reliable and durable on the market. But like any complex system, they’re made up of a number of different parts, all of which must work together seamlessly to keep your car running smoothly. Here’s a quick overview of the parts that make up an automatic transmission:
- The torque converter is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the transmission. It uses hydraulic pressure to do this, and it’s what allows your car to idle without lurching forward.
- The gears are what actually transmit the power from the engine to the wheels. Automatic transmissions have a number of different gears, each of which is designed for a specific range of speeds. The transmission shifter chooses the appropriate gear based on how fast the car is going.
- Transmission fluid is what lubricates and cools the transmission parts. Over time, it can become contaminated with dirt and debris, which can cause problems. That’s why it’s important to have the transmission fluid checked and changed according to your car’s maintenance schedule.
These are just a few of the parts that make up an automatic transmission. By understanding how they work together, you can help keep your car running smoothly for years to come. If you suspect that a component is failing, check out these signs of transmission failure below.
Warning Signs of Automatic Transmission Failure
- Leaks: Transmission fluid is a necessary part of the transmission system and must be maintained in order for it to work properly. Any leaks will reduce how effective or protective that protection can be, so keep an eye on your car’s fluids and any puddles underneath your engine bay.
- Gears shift roughly: If your transmission is not working properly, you may notice that when accelerating or changing gears the RPMs fluctuate erratically and/or there’s hesitation during these actions. The gears may “clunk” into place with a physical lurch as the engine revs but power isn’t transferred to the transmission in time.
- Hot Engine Temperature: The transmissions in cars are often the hottest part of your vehicle, aside from the engine. Because they need so much energy and force to shift gears, if any component isn’t working properly, it will generate more heat than usual. This can lead to the engine also overheating if not diagnosed early. This repeated strain could cause serious damage on your engine and transmission!
If you suspect a problem with your transmission after reading about the signs of trouble, please do not hesitate to contact us or stop in today to speak to our expert mechanics about any concerns you have regarding your Volvo’s automatic transmission.
Visit us at Hayes European for Your Volvo Repairs
At Hayes European, we have been servicing clients from the areas of Santa Cruz, Aptos, Soquel, and Capitola, CA for years. With experience in over seven brands of European cars, you can rest easy knowing that we will be able to tackle any problem in your Volvo. From replacing the transmission to scheduled maintenance and routine service, Hayes European can ensure the performance and reliability of your vehicle.
If trust and affordability are what you’re looking for, please reach out and contact us right away. Come visit us so we can show you what true auto service looks like! We look forward to earning your trust and becoming your auto center for all service, maintenance, and repairs. Call us today!